Pages

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Face Value

Issues at the office actually makes me ponder about how people look at life.
Indeed, physical qualities and how one presents himself is an important factor because no matter how everyone says that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, simply said, life doesn't work that way. Let's say, you want to apply for a job that is professionally recognized as an office type. Normally, you would go with your best shirt, pants and shoes. The things that you know that looks good on you. You want to look your best because how the interviewer sees you at first sight can affect how the application would turn out. Yes, looking your best is important. But have we all forgotten the  most relevant thing? QUALIFICATION. Are you fit for the job? Are you capable of accomplishing the task? Are you a multitasker to take on the demands of the boss?

I never wanted to work at the ER. Working as a part of the TRIAGE team never lingered in my head...even in my dreams. Why? Because I don't think that I would be able to do the task properly. I don't have the skills to be one of them. Yes I know that there can be training, but why would I train there wherein I didn't want to be there in the first place? Another thing is that I know that I can do training, but I know my capabilities, my limit and my specialties. I never saw myself as an MT. lol. I know that if I tried to go in that department, I would be mocked, laughed at because I'm not fit for the job. My petite body is not fit to get all those bloody bodies work their way to the stretcher and anyway, I'm always mistaken as a child and they are going to wonder if I'm really a REAL nurse. Reality bites and sometimes, it pisses me off. So, anyway, like I said, one should know their capabilities before dipping themselves into an unfamiliar territory.

I remember what Patricio Soyao asked me when I first applied as an online english teacher.
"Did you see the people outside? That's how they teach. Do you think that you can do it too?"
I vaguely recall that my answer is a very shy "YEAH SURE".  In the back of my mind, I was thinking what the heck am I getting myself into? I'm not a teacher. But I guess I'm really that determined to try it. I know that my english is not perfect. Yes, I can speak because I've been studying the language since like forever. I was trained to have good grammar skills and a neutral accent (actually trained to have an american accent) when I was still working as a call center agent. So I guess my only problem now is the teaching skills. HAHA. As far as I know, whenever I conduct a review for the upcoming examinations for my brother, it usually ends in tears. I don't know. But I don't have a lot of patience and he doesn't have a long one as well. Anyway, I'm good at copying. Actually, that is my forte. Copying skills. So I thought that I'll just look at how they do it and mimick it. I guess it worked. I'm still here, teaching for the past 9 months until of course, the end of February.

So, my question is this. Would you endure being laughed - at at your back because you keep on trying to fit in to something that is let's say, not your forte? Or just pray that your pretty face can cover up the grammar lapses?

No judgement guys. God is SOOOOO good. So sturdy well ok? lol!

2 comments:

Maxine Go said...

LOL. Tama! No judgments, just the truth. Nice one, LJ.Ü

autopinas said...

lol! nagcomment ka pla! haha!